Planning & Community Development

Revision fee begins August 1, 2019*

The City will begin charging for revisions to submitted plan sets effective August 1, 2019. The revision plan review fee is $151.74 an hour with a minimum ½ hour ($75.87).  The fee will be assessed and due when the revision is picked up. Revision Form (B107); 2 paper copies of the revision and an electronic copy of all submitted documents must be filled out and turned in. 

*As adopted by BIMC 15.04.020, 15.04.040.A.4 and BIMC 15.04.050.B, (see below) the City of Bainbridge Island is authorized to charge a fee for revised plans.

PCD expands hours for planning and building appointments

PCD New Hours Opens in new window

You can now schedule an appointment online to meet with staff at City Hall 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday-Friday to submit a land use or building permit application. Previously, this service was limited and PCD was closed for public business on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons.

In addition, the walk-in counter is open 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday-Friday to discuss a project with a permit specialist, planner or building representative or get answers to general questions about planning and development services. You can still submit permits during this time but are encouraged to make an appointment.

Expanded hours include walk-in customers  (8 a.m. - 12 p.m. Monday-Friday) and Appointments (8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Monday -Friday)

Building Permits - 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.; 1-3 p.m. Monday-Friday

Solar, Roofing, Plumbing and Mechanical permits may be applied for online. All other building permits accepted by appointment. Walk-in permit submittals are still accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. but scheduled submittal appointments will take priority.

Land Use - 1-3 p.m. Tuesday, 9-11 a.m. Wednesday, Thursday

Appointments are required to submit for certain permit types. Contact if you are unsure of the land use permit required for your project.

Consultation - 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Meet with a city planner and a development engineer to discuss your project.  The purpose of the Consultation is to discuss in general terms project permit application questions. Staff will not prepare for the consultation nor will they produce any written or electronic documentation of the discussion. It is the applicant's responsibility to take notes. As no project permit application will have been submitted at the time of such a meeting, the city will not make any binding commitments. The Director is authorized to deduct the consultation fee from the official land use permit fee if a subsequent preapplication meeting or land use permit is applied for by the applicant within one year of a consultation meeting.  A fee of $180 will be due at the time of the meeting.

These expanded appointment hours increase weekly land use application appointments from six to nine. Weekly building permit application appointments have increased from 21 to 35. These changes allow PCD to be timelier and more responsive during the peak construction season.

The new hours improve staff capacity to respond to email and phone inquiries. We understand that PCD's response to all types of inquiries needs to be timely. In the past, staff was challenged to find downtime to return questions that arrived via phone or email. Now, we expect to be able to provide a better level of service across the board.

We hope these changes will improve your experience at the planning and building counters. We remain committed to providing professional and thorough service that is responsive to the needs of our community.

Online Submittal Appointments


The Department of Planning and Community Development's aim is to coordinate and manage land use activity. This includes:

  • Implementation of the Comprehensive Plan
  • Administration of building, shoreline, environmental, and subdivision regulations
  • Development review
  • Code compliance
  • Support for a variety of citizen committees, including the Planning Commission


The department's intent on behalf of the City of Bainbridge Island is to keep its citizens fully informed of development activities, changes to regulations, and planning projects. In order to accomplish this, the department engages the public through a variety of notification processes.

Citizen Groups

The department works with a number of citizen groups as part of its baseline public services. Citizen volunteers bring a range of expertise and experience to city committees and commissions. Department staff also coordinate activities with nonprofit community organizations.

Visiting the Department

Counter service is provided between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday, and between 8 a.m. and noon on Wednesday and Thursday. City Hall is open during the hours of noon and 4 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday, and planning staff is available for previously arranged appointments.

Building Permit Plans

Building permit plan resubmissions and revisions are accepted Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m and 9 a.m. An appointment is required for the submission of any planning permit. Appointments are available for building permits but not required.  Electronic and paper documents of submittal items are required at the time of submitting an application.  

Copies of Building Permit Plans
Copies of approved building plans requested by anyone other than the person/ firm that created the plans go through a third-party notification process and will take longer to process.

Development Process Review

Planning and Community Development recently hired The Latimore Company, LLC, to perform a development process review. You may read their final report online (PDF).

The Latimore Company LLC presented their findings to a joint meeting of the City Council, Planning Commission and Design Review Board on June 20, 2017. You may view the presentation online (PDF).

Notify Me - Sign up for the City's listserv notification system.