New Alteration/Subject to Field Inspection Online Permit Rolled Out
The City has created a new online permit for residential alterations or remodels that are solely within the interior of a home. These alterations must not involve going outside the existing footprint or raise roof lines.
Examples of work covered under the R-ALT-STFI permit type include:
- Kitchen remodel - Moving appliances around within the kitchen space and/or adding a beam to eliminate posts.
- Interior space remodel - Moving or deleting walls.
- Reconfiguring bedrooms - Does not include adding a bedroom.
- Small structural changes - Requires stamped engineering plan at time of submittal.
- Bathroom remodel.
- Adding interior LP gas lines for new appliances (gas fireplace)
- Above existing garage space - Creating ADU's are not eligible for this type of permit.
- Changing staircases or railings.
Work that is NOT eligible for this permit type:
- Alterations outside the existing footprint work.
- LP tank replacements.
- Additions to existing homes.
- Alterations inside the existing footprint to add a bedroom.
- Detached garages.
- Grading on property.
- New utility installation.
- Tree clearing or vegetation management.
- Commercial improvements.
- Raising of roof or changing roof heights and/or size.
- Drainage improvements.
- Seismic retrofitting of either interior or exterior of home.
This permit is supported by an online application process very similar to our residential mechanical (R-MEC) permit and may be applied for using the Online Permit Portal.
City hall reopened on July 1, 2021, with resumed counter service to the public. Open counter hours are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 12:00 Noon on a first come, first served basis. Permit application submittal continues to be by appointment only and we will only accept digital documents.
*NEW* On July 1 we will also be holding 15 minute counter consultations with either a Planner or a Building Inspector at 1:30 PM. These are by appointment only and will be offered Monday through Friday.
Planners and Inspectors continue to be available by email and phone (see Staff Directory).
Building inspections may be scheduled by calling 206-780-3789 or e-mailing Inspections@bainbridgewa.gov.
The Online Permit Center allows you to do the following online:
- Check the status of a permit
- Apply for a permit (some restrictions apply)
- Schedule an inspection
- View inspection schedule
- Pay permit fees
- 2018 International Building Code (includes the 2018 International Existing Building Code, 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa code, and 2009 ICC/ANSI A117.1)
- 2018 International Residential Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code (includes the 2018 International Fuel Gas Code, 2017 Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code (NFPA 58), and 2018 National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54) as it applies to LP Gas installations
- 2018 International Fire Code
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2018 Washington State Energy Code
- National Electrical Code (NFPA 70) -- Please see the Department of Labor and Industries for information on the adoption and amendment of the National Electrical Code.
Building Safety Month
Building Safety Month Proclamation